Sunday, October 16, 2011

ARKY 100

What a ride!!! This was going to be my 3rd century ride of the year. It started at 8:00 and I had heard it was hilly, and it was....the whole time!! I must say that this was one of the hardest and longest rides I've ever been on!

It wasn't just the hills...the wind was pretty brutal too! I ended up riding this alone...my only distraction was my trusty little Ipod. I really don't like listening to music on my bike, but I had a feeling that I might need it this day. I'm so glad I had it. Without having someone to ride with, it becomes not just a physical thing to overcome, but a mental one. There were long stretches of road that I never saw a car let alone another rider!

I stopped at all the rest stops except two. The first one and the last one are the two that I skipped. I kind of wished I had stopped at the last one though because I had several friends there and it would have helped me to talk to all of them, but at the point I was just ready to get DONE!

It took me nearly 7 hours to do, and when I got back to my car, my bike computer only showed 97.8 miles! WTHeck?? I was a little disappointed that it wasn't a full 100 miles, but everyone told me not to let that bother me - that it was the Arky 100 and I had done it. I could have rode around in the parking lot and got the rest of the miles in, but I just didn't have it in me! I was exhausted!!

With that being done, I still feel the need to get in that last, official "100" mile ride. I'll either do another organized ride or just do one on my own. If I take the route I use for work and coming home through Holly Grove, and do it twice...I can get it done. I'll just have to plan it out, and leave coolers along the route for fresh drink and food. It's just something I feel I need to prove to myself.

It was a beautiful, sunny and warm day all in all though. I had many people tell me that in years past it was always pretty chilly, and/or cloudy. I had a safe ride and never had any mechanical issues so I can say I was pretty fortunate. Next year when I do the Arky, I think I'll opt for the shorter ride and then enjoy a hamburger with my fellow riders at the end :)

No comments:

Post a Comment