Sunday, October 16, 2011

Arkansas Freedom Fund Challenge Ride

October 15 was the day for this ride and it started at the Clinton Library and went over the new Clinton Park Bridge. I had yet to use this new bridge over the Arkansas River, so I was pretty excited about it. 

The Arkansas Challenge is an opportunity to provide an adaptive cycling event designed to restore the mental and physical wellness of Arkansan Wounded Warriors. It is an experience that honors our warriors as they now battle their injuries of war on the civilian battlefield as they recover and reintegrate with the society they fought courageously for. The Arkansas Challenge has always allowed for riders to ride with the warriors to understand and talk with them as they support a positive message of encouragement and thanks.

This was a pretty leisure ride of 20 miles and took a total of about 3 hours to complete. We had many stops to wait for everyone so we could all ride together as a group. The ride took us through downtown, around by the capital, across the Big Dam Bridge, and on the River Trail north of the river. My friend Ruth came and we rode together and at one of the stops I came across several ABC riders. My cousin Ken with MEMS was there working the ride on his bike so I got the chance to visit with him several times.


The ride ended where it had started and Whole Hog Cafe provided delicious BBQ with all the trimmings. It was yummy! I had never had any of their BBQ before but I think I'll have to stop by sometime and have some more!




Ruth and me waiting to cross the BDB

No comments:

Post a Comment