Saturday, March 12, 2011

Oh No!!...a flat!

One of my biggest fears and challenges has been a flat tire! I recently experienced this on a ride coming back from Brinkley. I was just out of town heading back when I heard air coming from my rear tire. I pulled into a drive way and did the only thing I could at the time - I called for a ride!

My son came and picked me up and on the way home I decided I'd watch videos online and try to learn how to change my own tire, afterall...I had everything to do it...I just needed the knowledge. After a couple of hours I finally got it done! My only problem now was getting the tire back on the bike, and lucky for me, someone came and showed me how.

I stopped by one of my favorite bike shops and let the guy there check it out. He said I did a great job except that the bike tire needed to be switched around so that the labels were on the same side of the bike with the gears. Oh great...more practice in tire changing since switching it would involve breaking it down.

While I was there I picked up some Co2 cartridges and extra tubes! The Co2 was a challenge in itself because somehow I managed to pick out one that was defective! Another trip to the bike shop confirmed this. I swapped it out with a new and different one and now I'm good to go!

I've accomplished something now that I've needed to learn for a long time!....changing my own flat!! I feel so much more independent now!! I can proudly say I've ridden a couple of times since I've changed my own flat and it has held up beautifully :)

There's so much to learn when it comes to riding! I'm excited about learning new things and I'm ready to meet all the challenges that come my way! I have a bike tour coming up in 3 weeks. I signed up for 65 miles...the longest one for me yet. My challenge is going to be finishing it....I don't know how long it will take me....but I'm going to do it!!!!

Happy riding :)

No comments:

Post a Comment